An Abstract by Technocracy Inc.
Scientific Functional Governance for North America
the future of Technocracy, one must fairly say that it is the only
program of social and economic reconstruction which is complete
intellectual and technical accord with the age in which we live." The
Encyclopedia of Americana
"Technocracy has always always insisted that they type of social
operation it offers is not just desirable; it is necessary. Man cannot
continue to live at all on this Continent without drastically changing
his methods of management."
Functional governance would be put into operation a scientific control
of all flow lines of production and distribution. To measure the amount
of energy used by the North American continent in a given time period.
A Statistical System
A continental statistical system that would record the needs and
desires of every citizen in their choice of consumable goods and
services. This system would do the following:
(1) Register on a continuous 24-hour-per-day basis the total net
conversion of (a) the availability of energy for continental plant
construction and maintenance, (b) the amount of physical wealth
available in the form of consumable goods and services for consumption
by the total population during a length of time sufficient to allow all
industrial process to complete a cycle.
(2) Make possible a balanced load on industry and services by means of the registration of energy converted and consumed.
(3) Provide a continuous inventory of all production and consumption.
(4) Provide a specific registration of the type, kind and quality of goods and services, where produced and where used.
(5) Provide a specific registration of consumption of each individual,
plus a record and description of the individual. This system will
probably allow a continental health care information service for every
(6) Allow all citizens the wide latitude of choice in consuming their individual share of continental wealth.
(7) Distribute goods and services plentifully to every member of the population.
(8) All goods and services, educational, recreational, health
maintenance, transportation, and etc., available as right of
Such technology as "smart cards" voice prints or other record keeping
innovations could be put to use enabling citizens to withdraw goods and
services as they prefer. All withdrawals to be electronically recorded
to facilitate replacement.
Money is Inadequate
Due to the fact that money is a species of debt, and hence cumulative,
the amount would have to be continually increased, which, in
conjunction with its property being negotiable, would lead inevitably
to concentration of control in a few hands and to general disruption of
the distribution system that was supposed to be maintained.
A Continental Energy Accounting System is not a medium of
exchange or subject to fluctuation of value. It is not subject to theft
or loss or hoarding or gambling; nor is it a means of wealth or
prestige nor a means of creating debt.